Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas, Kelley, and a man from Bethlehem

Christmas eve, when all parents do their last minute shopping. Such is the case this year, but this year we shop in Florida. While visiting my parents, Felicia and I were shopping this afternoon and stopped for a bite to eat at a Steak & Shake (one of her favorites that I hate:). We ordered some food and when it came to the table I spoke with our waitress Kelley, and mentioned to her that we were going to pray for our food and ask if there was anything she would like for us to pray for. Apparently shocked at my question, she said yes there actually was, her mother in law had had a stroke this morning and she was finishing up her shift, and leaving to go see her. And also that she had five kids and one on the way, she always was in need of prayer. So we invited her to join us and we prayed for her needs as well as our food.

Now the point of this story is this: In all our shopping, running around, fast paced, lives do we ever stop to notice the simple people we come in contact with. By simple I don't intend to mean less than, or subservient, but what I mean is the people we just brush in passing, not the ones we have appointments with, or family, just the casual moments we share. Like a waitress named Kelley.

Christmas is a time of celebration, a time of family, a time of reflection, and a time of joy.

I also met a man from Bethlehem today at the mall. Now I don't mean that jokingly, actually from Bethlehem. He was a vendor selling Holy land treasures, some wood carvings of nativity scenes, and such. Felicia and I made a small purchase from him, and sparked up a conversation. Turns out his family, and his brothers' family makes these things and sell them to tourist in Israel, and two months out of the year he comes here to sell them. He was going back on January 4th. After our conversation, he wrote his name down for me and ask me to look him up if ever in Bethlehem. I assured him I would.

People are the only special commodity we have here on this earth. Now where in scripture does it say Jesus came to save the temple, or to save the land, or to save anything but people. They are just that important. So as my family tears open enough paper to start a bon fire, and settles back down for coffee, I plan on reflecting on the true blessing we have each day, looking at us across the breakfast table. The ones we have on speed dial in our cell phones, with the cool ring tones for. The ones we neglect most by working to much, the ones that seem to get under our skin. The ones we love. I'm thankful for my family, and this year has been a tough one for us, so I'm thankful for them all, including my mom, who has looked death in the face, and by His grace, starred it down and smiled for another Christmas.


Lord,
I am so humbled by the grace you have shown me and my family. We thank you for the special gifts of mercy you have shown us this year. Thank you for seeing us through. Forgive us for getting excited about the presents and not being as thankful for your present in our lives. Thank you for this trip and getting to spend time with my parents. We are so blessed.
Remember Kelley and her family in their time of need. Bless them with your goodness and mercies this season. Remember Hanna Mitri and his family back in Israel. Bless there business, and the ministry these carvings will bring. And above all we are thankful that you loved us enough to give us Jesus. In His name I pray... Amen



Merry Christmas to you all.

Kevin

Look up, Live life, and be thankful.

No comments:

Hope in the Dark

Article published Dec. 30, 2009 Meade County Messenger Hope in the Dark by Kevin Hatfield Radio transmission… (Widowmaker main…Widow...