Saturday, June 21, 2008

Adam's Falls





While on a recent trip through Pennsylvania I stopped off for a short Hike in the northeastern part of the state in a state park. Adam's falls is a trail along a small river through a Hemlocks forest.

As with most waterfalls of any size, they carry a certain majestic quality about them. A couple of friends of mine were with me to admire the view.

Hiking and being in the outdoors in general provides a nice break from the normal grind of life. The quiet and solitude it provides is like a refreshing rain for me. Life, at least my life, is always full of pressures, deadlines, goals, and busy, busy, busy. Life's balances seem to always end up tipped to far one way. So when I get a chance to nock off for a few hours and get away, I try to take advantage of the time. Which is how I found myself walking in the hemlocks. Just watching the water rush over the cliffs, hearing the constant roar, and feeling the mist in the air is an awesome place to sit and relax.

Life shouldn't be such a rush. At least here in America our priorities have tipped the scales to a materialistic society. This has driven the cost of living up through higher labor costs and manufacturing expenses, leaving us with a perpetual drive to make more and more. It doesn't take much thought to understand that this kind of life will lead to an unrealistic end. I'm not much of a materialistic person. I enjoy experience over things. Adventures instead of shopping, and for the majority, places like Adam's Falls, PA are free. All you need is a bottle of water and a good pair of shoes. I would rather collect pictures and experience than something I keep for a few years and then sell in a yard sell for pennies on the dollar. Or use as a tax write off at the Goodwill.

I find myself most in tune both with myself and God when I can get away from the noise and be quiet. I love early mornings before the world is awake and moving. Before the sun is shining and the dew is still in the air. I can find peace. I like to start the day early with a daily reader. I'm working my way through a book by Andrew Murray on Prayer. In times like these I talk to God and ask Him to show me direction for my life. My heart is torn because what makes me happy and fulfilled is helping people. And this is really what I think my purpose is supposed to be in life. But life cost money and we must spend out time working. But my thoughts in quiet moments always end up on the face of orphan children in Haiti, or one of many pictures I carry in my heart from the places I've been.

I try to take life day by day. My wife will argue the point because I am a planner and like things to be organized and all loose ends tied. But really I have found today has it's own troubles. I try to live each day the best I can. Taking advantage of each moment and making the best of them. As I write this tonight, I'm planning an excursion for tomorrow to see another place of God's beauty, but you'll have to come back to read about it.

I hope each of us find time to search our hearts, find God's peace, and then decide to do something positive with it. Never miss the opportunity to make a difference.

Remember Look up, Live life, and Be thankful.

Kevin

UP Coming Posts:

Pioneer Coal Mine

Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania

Mother Teresa

No comments:

Hope in the Dark

Article published Dec. 30, 2009 Meade County Messenger Hope in the Dark by Kevin Hatfield Radio transmission… (Widowmaker main…Widow...