Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fallen but not forgotten

I ran into one of those tragic heart wringing moments last saturday evening. While searching the Internet for another SGT I served with, I came across a web site for Fallen Heros (http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/). I searched the list I saw two names that were all too familiar.



Before I get too far into this let me explain a few things for the none military readers: While in the Army I was stationed with B co 214th AVN Regt in Hawaii from '92 - '95 then at 101st AVN Brigade at Ft. Campbell, Ky till '97 when my enlistment was up and I pursued other avenues. Travelling from Post to Post during a stint or career in the military is just part of the Army life. Such was the case when I arrived in Hawaii.


The first day I arrived at my permanent unit (B Co 214) it was about 4pm and it was almost time to go home for the day. My sponser signed me into the unit Pvt. Kevin Hatfield and drove me to the barracks so I could get a room assigned. The CQ took one look at me with all worldly belongings in hand and said "Pvt. you are on latrein detail." I responded just breifly to inform him that I didn't have a room yet and didn't know where the latreen was (of course haven't even had the privilage to use it yet before I get to clean it). He quickly assigned me a room to drop my bags in and escourted me to the facilities.






I walk into my first toilet cleaning vacation in paradise to find two other privates already working things back into shape. Mike Russell greated me with the Virginia version of "What's up?" Mike, my age of 19ish had been in the unit only a few months and was in the Maintenace Platoon and was a CH-47 Chinook mechanic. We immediately hit it off. Mike over the next few years would become a good friend ( by good friend I mean, we talked a lot at work and had him over to the house a few times, including one party involving 'jungle juice' where mike spent a majority of the night on my sidewalk). Mike was the best kind of soldier. He not only was reliable and responsible, but also looked out for others. Later Mike moved to Flight Platoon and became a Crew Cheif under SSG Steve Marietta (Another of our countries finest). Mike took to the new job with enthusiam and poise. We served together till just before I left for Haiti when he was leaving for Ft. Carson Colorado. And as with many military relationships we lost touch shortly after.


I found out Saturday that he had been killed in Afghanistan in Kumar Provine June 28, 2005. At 36 I haven't had very many friends of mine die, so it came kind of sudden, but this I know of the Mike I knew so many years ago, he loved his job. Mike's MH-47 was part of the 160th Nightstalkers, which is the elite of the Aviation world in the Army. Only the best are a part of it, and they have there act together. It only seemed fitting to know that Mike was a part of that group. They were the story behind the movie Black Hawk Down and the pilot Michael Durant that was taked Prisoner in Somalia.


Mike is sadly missed by all who knew him I'm sure, and even my heart is not full knowing he is gone. But to me Mike is a hero. I pray one day in heaven we'll get to catch up on old times. Rest well my friend.

Mike Russell http://www.fallenheroesmemorial.com/oef/profiles/russellmichaell.html








Maj. Curtis D. Feistner "Curt" to those who knew him, was a different kind of soldier to me. I didn't know him the same way I knew Mike. Curt was also in B Co 214 while I was there. He was a 2nd Lieutenant when I first came to Hawaii, but I figured out pretty quick he wasn't the usual officer. Curt wasn't an ROTC kind of officer. And I mean no disrespect by that, but Curt was from West Point. Which means he was a strong leader. Enlisted men and officers don't mingle, so with Curt it was all business. As he moved up the ranks and eventually became a Captian, he became my Platoon leader and Flight Operations Officer.


Curt lead by example, he never asked us to do something he wouldn't do, and several times he was right there with us getting it done. Level headed, common sense, just an all around great guy. He did the Hawaii Iron Man Challenge and finished it. He wasn't the kind of leader to quite. I was on CQ duty at the hanger the day he competed. When it was all over his eyes were swollen and he looked as though he had been through hell. But he was just being himself.


Some of us younger guys used to joke with him about his car. Of course all young men were about there cars. If memory serves it was either a Buick LeSabre or a Chevy Celebrity that used to be his grandmother's, however it was a dull silver or grey. His response "It's paid for and gets me where I'm going." Common Sense! Curt used his head, he thought things through.


Curt left Hawaii while I was in Haiti for the 160th also, at Ft. Campbell. I saw him a couple of times there around post before I got out. He eventually received his command as a Major, and it wasn't just any unit it was E Co in the 160th. They just don't let anyone command there, they only allow the best to lead. I found that quite fitting. If I had served either in Desert Storm or this current campaign on Terrorism I would have wanted Curt at the helm. He was a true leader.


My favorite movie of all time is Band of Brothers, about E Co. 506th PIR 101st Airborne during WWII. The company commander's name was Dick Winters. If you are familiar with the movie, Curt was that kind of leader to me.



Curt was on a mission when his MH-47 went down in the Sea south of the Philippines on Feb 21, 2002. Curt was the kind of leader that if his troops were on a mission he wanted, and usually was, with them.



My fondest memory was a platoon hiking trip we went on with Curt leading the way. We hiked along the island dividing ridge on Oahu, Hawaii. He took a picture of all of us, and made sure we each got a copy. We spent the afternoon just taking about the Army and how great it was to be serving in such a paradise. Curt was very fond of Hawaii, I think it appealled to his outgoing nature.

Maj. Curt Feistner is sorely missed by all that knew him. And I'm sure the Army lost one of the best I ever met.



To all those that greive the loss of a loved one that served our great country, and gave their all for our freedom, no words could express the gratitude that I have. I am thankful to have served with both Mike & Curt, Heros to the core. Their memories and Spirit live one.


To all the Military still fighting: Keep up the good work. And Thanks for serving us back home.


Remember Look Up, Live Life, and Be Thankful

Kevin

No comments:

Hope in the Dark

Article published Dec. 30, 2009 Meade County Messenger Hope in the Dark by Kevin Hatfield Radio transmission… (Widowmaker main…Widow...