Monday, August 11, 2008

Memories


As my day comes to an end, I find myself looking back over a memory from earlier this year, in late February. To paint you the mental picture, let me just fill in a few blanks:


I started my day today in the pan handle of Maryland, sandwiched between West Virginia, and Southern Pennsylvania. All up in the Appalachian mountainside, in the booming metropolis of George's Creek (approx. 15 houses). For those more interested in details, you'll find it due south of I-68, exit 34 on SR 36 near Frostburg, which is just east of Cumberland, MD.



This morning started like every other morning, except as I walked outside my hotel I felt the brisk air send a chill through my body. I'm not sure of the actual temperature, probably around 60 degrees. Now this doesn't sound chilly on the surface, but since last week was in the 90's, it felt chilly to me. I broke out a hooded sweatshirt for good measure anyway. Around 9am the sun rose enough to began sharing it's heat, I took off the jacket for a few hours, just to put it back on again later.



My project ended early, so my crew and I headed north to Johnstown PA, (near the Flight 93 Memorial site) to prepare for tomorrow's project. When we finally made it to the hotel, I checked us in and went to my room to clean up for supper. (We had Cozemels Mexican by the way.)


I hope this next part is not TMI, but I'll share it because it's crucial to understand the point of my story. I wasn't over my chill yet, so I took a quick hot shower to warm up. Before I got out, I turned the water to my usual luke warm to cool, and then it hit me!


Our minds work like an intricate spiderweb; made up of ideas, memories, sounds, smells, and thoughts. Many of which are interlinked like files in a hard drive, touching but not always connected. As an example, when a certain song comes on your favorite radio channel that is from your childhood, or maybe your teenage years, you instantly remember a moment in time, a date, a dance, some lost love one, or something having nothing to do with the song, but represents a time in your life story. This is what happened to me.


As the cool water hit my skin from the shower I remembered a day in late February earlier this year in the Dominican Republic. I was in an apartment provided for me by G.O. Ministries while in Santiago. It didn't have hot water, at least not like we think of here in the states. They use something known as a widow maker to make hot water. Let me explain; instead of a usual shower head we think of, the shower head is bigger and has electrical wires coming out of it, wrapping around the pipe and into the wall. As the water comes through the head it's heated, sort of, but not heated enough to suit my wife if you know what I mean. The good thing about them is this, you never have to wipe the fog off the mirror.




Anyway; even in February it's hot in the Caribbean. This particular day I had come in from my daily trip out to one of the ministry sites and jumped into the shower to freshen up for the evening. The cool water felt good since it was hot, and a thought came to my mind. The children at the feeding center I had spent the morning with have never known a shower like I have at home. Never had the opportunity to spend lots of time absorbing the hot massaging waters we have in America. Since my widow maker barely provided what I would call a sprinkle, I reflected on the moment. Most of the children do not take showers, but rather a bath out of a pot of cold water. As I stood in the shower both today and in early February my heart was on those children.


We have life so good, and most of us totally take it for granite. Life is full of those we have forgotten. Children who don't know the privileges we have here. McDonalds on every corner, Walmart, good education, food to not only eat, but to gorge on. Life in the Dominican to me is easier and harder at the same time. The don't have the luxuries that we don't even notice, but also have a simpler life because of it. My two weeks in the Dominican last February was physically exhausting, mentally challenging, and an emotional roller coaster, but was the best adventure of my life. To use a word I use a lot, it was impactful. So much so my heart and dreams always seem to find me thinking of these children and a place so special to me, that I want to leave all of this world behind, and trade it for that one.




I've been ask by many that know me personally 'Why would you want to leave here, to go there and live in poverty?' I can't really put it in words other than this; Why would Jesus leave all of Heaven to come here? Because he could and did make all the difference.

My quest in life is simply this: Be a loving husband to my wonderful wife Felicia, Be a loving Dad to two awesome daughters, and change as many lives for the better as I can before I die. To spend this life, in such a way, that at the end of life's day I will be able to say I did my best. Using every resource, every opportunity, every day to bring God glory. Call me a radical? let me quote my older brother on this one; "I may not always be right, but I'm am always convinced." I know what I believe, and if I'm wrong, it was worth helping people anyway, so what.

To all my friends and missionaries with G.O. Ministries, and to my friends in Africa, I thank God for your passion to care for other people. To look beyond yourselves and into the lives of others, providing hope and love to all of God's children. For feeding the forgotten, housing the unwanted, building churches for those with nowhere to go, your sacrifices do not and will not go unnoticed. To quote my friend Pastor Elijah Wafula "You are an ambassador from another kingdom. And that kingdom is God's." Thank you for all that you do.




My day has came and gone, my only hope is that tomorrow will bring me the opportunity to brighten someones day. Maybe to share God's good news, or maybe just bring someone a smile, either way I end this day as I began it, with some time in prayer, and leaving it in the hands of an Almighty God to use as he wishes.


Remember Look Up, Live Life, and Be Thankful

Kevin

No comments:

Hope in the Dark

Article published Dec. 30, 2009 Meade County Messenger Hope in the Dark by Kevin Hatfield Radio transmission… (Widowmaker main…Widow...