Saturday, July 26, 2008

I saw it in her eyes. A fireman's story

Sarah walked out of the front door, locking it behind her, and with a gentle wave saying “See you tonight.” Jumped into her SUV and left for work. It was a fabulous morning, the sun had just crested the trees, shining the morning light across the street as she pulled out of the neighborhood and headed for the freeway. Her mind bounced from little Amy’s Brownie meeting tonight to the papers she had to get ready for her work meeting. She wondered if Jim would grill the steaks for dinner or if he’d bake them as she turned left onto the freeway. She merged into traffic as she felt her unborn baby move around, probably stretching his leg under her ribs. Sarah placed her hand on her head and leaned against the door with her elbow as she noticed traffic backing up once again from the road construction. Just another morning in Pittsburgh.

Traffic lanes split, one for thru traffic, one for local. Sarah eases into the thru traffic just like every morning. As she travels thru the 45 MPH zone at the usual 50, passing the safety green- vested workers without hardly even a notice, the van in front of her chalks up the brakes…POW!!!!! Before she even realizes what has happened the airbag deflates. “Ohhh! Did I hit him?...What? The Baby!!! ………………..


Life is fickle. We never know what the day will bring when we leave for work. Our daily pressures put unrealistic demands on our lives, which skews our priorities. "I wish I had told him I’m sorry. I wish I had spent more time with the kids. I wish I had saved some money."

The above story is a complete product of my imagination based on events that are true. I use them only to paint a mental picture to show how quick life can change. I don’t know who was driving the vehicles in the following pictures, or anything about their lives.




All I do know is this, these are the facts: The van had a couple driving together in it. The SUV, a Mercury Mariner, was driven by a lady 8 months pregnant, and the Semi was apparently the driver at fault. The Semi was probably driving too fast in the construction zone I was working in with my usual crew on I79 just west of downtown Pittsburgh. The Semi couldn’t stop in time to prevent from hitting slowing traffic in front of him. He hit the Mariner scooping it up onto the wall and pushing it into a van in front of it. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I don’t think anyone was seriously injured. The pregnant lady went to the Hospital to get checked out, but she didn’t seem to be in any serious pain.

The ambulance and several fire trucks arrived at the scene to provide care for all involved. One of the firefighters, a volunteer I might add, caught my attention; not just because she was a woman, or even because she was pretty, but because she was ‘doing’. She was right in the middle of everything. She helped the paramedics lift the gurney over a barrier wall with the pregnant driver in tow. She was grabbing gear and shoring up the vehicle on the wall. I did not see the accident happen, but was on scene before the ambulance. Everyone seemed to be fine, except for the pregnant driver, and she was only worried about the baby. As I watched the rescue crews from my side of the barrier wall in the construction zone, I was just in amazement at how eager she and the other emergency responders were to help and care for these total strangers on maybe their worst day of their lives, and to them it’s just another call, just another day on the truck.

I saw it in her eyes as I looked at this picture, the compassion and concern this fireman had for these people. She was actually holding her chiefs turnout gear coat, while the others loaded up their gear to go back to the station.

Everyday these unsung heroes meet us at a time of crisis, without for the most part even a thank you. More likely than not, the victims of this accident will never meet the rescue crews again. Their bravery, although appreciated at the moment, will go unnoticed and unrecognized.

I had the chance to talk with a local fireman recently about some of the types of calls he has gone on. Basically he has seen it all, and as he put it “we all have.” But he still goes to work, he still gets on the truck, and he still comes when we call.

9/11 brought light to these brave heroes in New York, but they aren’t just in NY. They are in our cities and towns alike everyday. Next time you see one of them, give them a pat on the back. Thank them for pulling long shifts, coming out in the rain and the cold, for risking it all to save lives and property. You never know what tomorrow will bring. Like Sarah, don’t wish you had … love your family now. Don’t wait until tomorrow.

A special thanks to the fireman, paramedics, EMTs, Police, and rescue workers that get up every morning to make a difference in someone’s life. Thanks for coming when we call.



May God keep you safe as you watch out for others.


Remember Look Up, Live Life, and be Thankful

Kevin

No comments:

Hope in the Dark

Article published Dec. 30, 2009 Meade County Messenger Hope in the Dark by Kevin Hatfield Radio transmission… (Widowmaker main…Widow...