Saturday, June 28, 2008

Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania

Nestled in the hills of Leonard Harrison State Park in North Central Pennsylvania, and way the heck out of the way from anywhere, is the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania.




We found this little hot spot on a Trucker Atlas (for those of you who have never seen one of these, it's a huge atlas, bigger than your steering wheel so you can read it going down the road, driving a truck that weighs enough to kill anything you hit, trying to find your way around a scale house). We were in the area (within 60 miles of our hotel, 20 minutes from our job site) and decided to take a drive.

It's a neat little park with the Grand Canyon as the main attraction. It host miles of trails to enjoy, which we did a smaller one just to take in the fresh Penn. air.

The best part of this trip was spending time with friends. Eddie, Dave, and I travel and work together on a regular basis, and even though I'm the Boss (jefe) we are all friends. Dave and I sat on a log for a short rest and watched a deer graze in a small clearing, as we discussed life. It's nice to just relax even for just a short time.

Here's what I don't understand: Now this is just my personal observation, but most people I know aren't very adventurous. Most people don't seem to venture off the beaten path for little moments like these. Now don't get me wrong, I know several outdoors man, and people that camp, and I think that's awesome, but most people like 'the A/C clicker command center' of the living room.

Life is a gift that was meant to be lived. At the end of the day when I lay down I like to think back over the day and say, "today was an awesome day!" Besides if we get past thinking of just ourselves, there are people out there whose lives we can change even if for just the day, by reaching out to them and sharing small trips like these.


I hope today finds you adventuring the globe, sending picture texts, listening to something great on the Ipod.

If you find yourself adventuring drop me a pix and location.


Total cost for this trip, including diesel fuel, soda, and water bottle: $13.74




Remember Look Up, Live Life, and Be Thankful
Kevin

No comments:

Hope in the Dark

Article published Dec. 30, 2009 Meade County Messenger Hope in the Dark by Kevin Hatfield Radio transmission… (Widowmaker main…Widow...